As the call for Sheriff Arpaio of Maricopa County, Arizona to resign grows, Pablo Alvarado of the National Day Laborer Organizing Network issued the following statement:
“We are pleased attention has properly returned to Sheriff Arpaio and we agree he should resign. However, the White House role in Maricopa’s crisis deserves greater scrutiny and requires immediate action. Sheriff Arpaio’s mishandling of crime cases is the direct result his out-of-control and discriminatory focus on immigration; focus he’s able to implement through federal contracts.
President Obama’s contracts granting immigration authority to the Sheriff fueled his conversion into a Frankenstein and the President’s refusal to pull the plug continues to enable Maricopa’s monstrosity.
The process to bring Arpaio to justice should be swift. The President and Secretary Napolitano have a moral obligation to ensure it begins with cutting the Sheriff off from federal immigration enforcement contracts and concluding the delayed Department of Justice investigation.”
- July, 2008: Arpaio Sued Over Racial Profiling
- 2009 Report: Arpaio Law Enforcement Slows as Immigration Enforcement Quickens
- Feb, 2009: Arpaio Creates Outdoor Tent-City Segregated by Immigration Status
- Sept, 2010: Arpaio Uncooperative in DoJ investigation
- July 30, 2010: Arpaio Wrongfully Arrests Local Human Rights Leader
- May, 2011: Groups Call for Resignation